• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Canadian Units using Censor Type 5

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 23, 2022, 12:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Recording any Type 5 censors I can find illustrated

K & C page 229 shows three covers (overlapping) used by Canadian Forces on the W Front.

I attach a scan of the one of interest,  Cancelled FPO 9 P 29 July 1917, security phase IV.  Used by 9th Canadian Brigade Headquarters. Censor is 5 / 1310? as shown overlapped.

Allan? anyone confirm this number?  Also this censor if was can confirm ID should exist in Security phase II & III with a different FPO's

Do we have any WWI Western Front Canadian experts out there?

Cheers  Chris

Alan Baker

I have recently acquired a copy of Wayne Schnarr's (a member) recent book of "Canadian Military Censor Markings used in Europe during World War 1". This was published by BNAPS in January.

In this, he lists over 300 CM5 Nos identified as being used by Canadian forces, comparing FD's records with those of John Frith published in 1991. There are anomalies between the two records and Wayne has examined over 2000 covers and cards, while acknowledging there is still more to be done.

Looking at the CM5 records, there are two entries in the range 131x - 1312, which he notes as 58 Btn, and 1314, No 7 CGH. i would suggest the former is more likely, looking at the illustration, but it is possible that it is a new one.

I have recorded 1312 with FPO9P on the same date - 9th Canadian Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division. Wiki gives the 58th (Central Ontario) Battalion as part of this brigade.

Chris Grimshaw

Alan

Can you point me in the direction to obtain a copy of this publication please?

"I have recently acquired a copy of Wayne Schnarr's (a member) recent book of "Canadian Military Censor Markings used in Europe during World War 1". This was published by BNAPS in January."

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi chaps,

Surely we should be sensible and assume that anything not addressed to Canada, or not with a letter or confirmed Canadian unit association, should not be assumed Canadian by the postal marking alone. The Western Front was chaotic in many ways with units moving backwards and forwards through lines on a daily basis.

My assumption has always been that the troops would post in the closest, most convenient way, often with their mail handled by unassociated APO's or FPO's. The item Chris shows is addressed to the UK, the stationary could have been picked up by anyone, I am sure Frank Daniels also took the approach of caution when making Unit allocations.

Regards

Peter

Peter Harvey

Chris,

Wayne does not use this forum - the book is Schnarr, Wayne (2022). Canadian Military Censor Markings Used In Europe During World War I - See https://longleyauctions.com/product/canadian-military-censor-markings-used-in-europe-during-world-war-i-wayne-schnarr/

I will email Wayne and ask if there is a UK Distributor and come back to you.

Peter

Alan Baker

I obtained my copy from Bill Longley but the postage was excessive

Alan Baker

While I agree with Peter about the likely confusion at this time, Wayne notes five different covers to support Frith's allocation. Also, the envelope is from the Salvation Army with Canadian Forces.

AK's record card for 9P suggests he was shown the cover by GC (George Crabb?)

Peter Harvey

Chris,

I checked with Wayne and there is no distributor for the BNAPS books outside Canada and all their books are distributed through Bill Longley https://longleyauctions.com/product-category/bnaps-books/.

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Chris Grimshaw

Just ordered this

However, $25.00 book price jumps to $ 94.00 with International Delivery.

Pity they don't do an electronic version, would happily pay for such, for international collectors would be happy paying the paper rate of $25.00

Chris