• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Censor 5 / 4252 with FPO 137

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 23, 2022, 02:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Currently looking at two covers, see scans to same address in Ireland and both signed J or F Bailey

First FPO 137 dated 20 June 1917 Security phase III  Last date 30 June 17

Second FPO 137 dated 27 July 1917 Security phase IV  First date 1 July 17

Both censored 5 / 4252

Straight forward so far,

In security phase IV FPO 137  – Used by 170th Brigade 57th Division

In security phase III 137 is recorded used by 13 W, 13th Brigade Australian Forces

However the same censor etc is present.

Two thoughts come to mind,

Records are incorrect, unlikely I'd feel.

Secondly, an earlier swap than recorded.

Thirdly the first cover is incorrectly dated. If 30 June 17, would make more sense. 

Comments welcome, maybe I'm missing the obvious here.....

Chris

Alan Baker

I have recorded from AK's material (confirmed from his ledger) 5/4252 with FPO1K on 14th June 1917, which was in use during period III by 170 Brigade. He also noted the unit as 2/5 Btn King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster), which was part of 170 Brigade.

On FWR, there is a Lt F Bailey with the 5th Btn KORR, which makes sense.

Of the choices you suggest, I feel it is either an earlier swap or the date on the first one is incorrect. The one I have for 137 gives an entry for 5/1477, which he notes as "13 Aus"

Just when I thought I would have nothing to do today...

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Makes sense now. Incorrect date sound likely,

I still have a great deal of this 'Irish' material to go through.  The Type 5 are scattered over a number of binders and slowly working my way through.

Just when I thought I was getting my head round the security swaps, I realized they also include the FPO H Corps series.  This should entail 3 different examples for each corps. Western Front hasn't been my principle interest before so a learning curve.

Numbers wise, How many Type 5 does AK record? Does he also reflect the Security swaps?

Chris

Alan Baker

The ledger records all numbers that he had seen, but there are quite a few gaps. The index cards are divided up to reflect the swaps.

I have come across a number of instances where the swap dates don't seem to fit. I am not sure if there is any record of how the exchanges were effected, as it must have been a logistical nightmare, especially early on when they were quite ordered. So, for example, Nos 164 - 169 were swapped with 143 - 148, in order, in Phase I. I find it hard to believe that they could all be achieved in one day, even allowing for the fact that all these units were on the Somme.