• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Yes Type 5 Censor Again I'm afraid

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 25, 2022, 04:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

I think I may have identified a chunk of these censors, early days yet.

I really need sight of AK's 's' record cards. (

Does anyone have any records of Type 5 censors in the Block 3460 - 3500, starting to feel these may all be associated with Base Censors.

Chris

Alan Baker

Looking at my records and AK's ledger, most are Base Censors with a smattering of S Nos. There are one or two with D Nos and a couple of Canadian markings.

Wayne Schnarr notes 3481 - 3483, 3494 as Canadian, with queries against several others.

I have 3499 on 05/01/1917 with FPO164 (Phase II) which AK notes as 153 MGC, 51 Division

I think we do need to get all the index cards together, with the ledger, so that anyone can access them

Chris Grimshaw

Reference to 3481 & 3483 are interesting,

I have two examples of each,

5/3481 Cancelled Army Post Office 2 – Dated 24 February 1917 & 19 July 1917, One to Dorset, second into Ireland (Dublin) signed F B Wallis

Cancelled Army Post Office S 5 – Dated 21 December 1916 & 17 January 1917 Signed W Dugdale

Chris

Alan Baker

3481 - AK's ledger - APO2 22/08/1917 - he attributes to HAC
                    BAPO2 07/1917
I also have recorded this No with Clerk 1st Class 43556 Low A, RFC/RAF - 12/1916

About 3000 entries on FWR for F Wallis

3483 - ledger - APO2, BAPO2, S5, S21, - he notes HMHS St George

About 100 on FWR for W Dugdale, mostly "PBI". Can you post a scan?

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Again all info noted with relevant censor No.

Scan of the 'Dugdale cover attached. Second cover to same address.

Alan Baker

Looks like FW Dugdale - FWR has only one entry - Lt with Army Ordnance Corps, also served with RGA

Chris Grimshaw

Peter Harvey

But then again, could Also be Lt.-Colonel F.W. DUGDALE 1/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry - but then again why would a Lt Col be writing to a Corporal !

Chris Grimshaw

A Yeomanry Lt Col writing to the Remounts Depot could be feasible I suppose.

Complaint about quality of remounts supplied?

We'll never know.

Chris

Alan Baker

I don't think he actually wrote the letter. The writing is very different.