• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Civil Censorship in Jamaica WWII

Started by Alan Baker, March 09, 2023, 03:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Not strictly a forces cover but attached is one from Jamaica in December 1941. It bears a censorship label (without number) and a stamp No 12.

My query is that this stamp seems to bear a letter "F" after the number. I cannot find any reference to this in my very old (1982) copy of The Military Mail of Jamaica (Roses Handbook No 5)

Any ideas or where I can go to find out?

Tony Walker

Hi Alan

You might like to send the query to Darryl Fuller : editor@wipsg.org who edits the Journal of the recently amalgamated society for Caribbean philately The West Indies Philatelic Study Group.

And/or to Mr Duane Larson : dlarson283@aol.com who is the Jamaican study group organiser

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

I looked this up in the Encyclopaedia of Jamaican Philately Vol 9 Military Mails which has a small section of civil censorship and refers to publication by the CCSG, specifically Peter Burrows. They reference to the standard number type and show a variety with a capital letter A in front of the number, but nothing like this.

I have emailed your picture to Peter Burrows, hope this is okay and I will let you know if he replies.

Peter Harvey

Michael Dobbs

Peter

With reference to your response below - whilst they illustrate a cover with A 27 no mention is made of the A prefix - it is recordfed in the text as simply 27 as though the A is not relevnt or even there!

I'll be taking my copy to our meeting on Saturday for Alan to see.

Mike

Peter Harvey

Alan,

Had the below back from Peter Burrows, can you please confirm the date?

_________

Hi

It appears to be a new handstamp, together with A12 illustrated in the encyclpaedia

I will be recording them as H5.2 A27 and H5.3 12F

Can you please let me know date of use

Peter Burrows

Michael Dobbs

Peter

Thanks for what you have done - we both spoke with Peter Burrows at our meeting yesterday and I showed him the illustrations in the Jamaica book.  As a result Alan will be in direct contact with him.

Mike

Alan Baker

I have heard back from Paul Farrimond, co-author of the book Michael showed me and he said it is not an "F" but a mark the result of dirt on the stamp. He copied another example to me which seems to support this.

I asked him about the "A" on the example in the book but have not heard back

The date of the franking is DE 28 41