• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

EAST AFRICAN PIONEER FORCES IN PALESTINE.

Started by Ross Debenham, March 27, 2023, 06:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Iattach 2 scans of a recent purchase, an air letter post marked at FPO 148 on 14 September, 1944. As in the return address it apparently has been sent from a British service man attached to 666 Company, East African Army Service Corp. (Gen. Transport).My 2 queries are, would I be right in assuming He was a British Serviceman seconded to the EAASC and what does the T prefix on the service number denote?

Chris Grimshaw

Could the 'T' represent a territorial? or possibly a Tradesman?

Chris

Alan Baker

I have found him on Ancestry -

Eric Frank Wilday, born 7th April 1916, Coventry Warwickshire UK, T/184445 Pte EF Wilday, 666 General Transport Company, EA ASC, Middle East Forces 1944, died April 1990, Warwickshire.

Not sure what the "T" stands for

Michael Dobbs

In searching for "Army Numbers WW2" I cam across the following website:

http://www.researchingww2.co.uk/army-numbers-british-army-ww2/

This shows that the Army number concerned (184445) was in the block assigned to the Royal Army Service Corps and that 'T' stood for Transport - please see attached Word document.

The use of Army Numbers to replace Regimental Numbers came in as a result of Army Order 388 of 1920.

Mike