• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Boxer Rebellion China / Austrian Troops

Started by Peter Gassmann, April 08, 2023, 11:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gassmann

Hello All,

I've come accross a few postcards apparently from a member of the Austrian troops in Beijing related to the Boxer rebellion. The guards used a postmark "Gesandtschafts Wachdetachement Peking". Does anyone have more information on this?

best regards, Peter

[attach id=6682]LB02b_front_s.jpg[/attach]
[attach id=6684]LB02b_rev_s.jpg[/attach] 

Peter Harvey

Hi Peter,

I thought I would reply as no one has offered any support yet. It is such a pity that Keith Tranmer is no longer with us, he would certainly have been able to help. I note that when you search for these on-line that links to his collection at auction come up. I cannot however see that he published on the topic in the Journal.

In terms of the wider topic, the Austrians in China during the boxer uprising, a few thoughts:

Have you seen this - https://terebess.hu/english/austro.pdf page 35 onwards covers the boxer period.

Also you might email Peter High, he has had an interest in the Boxer Wars and has some links with collectors in China, so may be able to direct you.

Regards

Peter H

Peter Gassmann

Hi Peter

many thanks! helpful link to this document!

I will ask Peter High then, thanks!

best regards, Peter