• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Security cancellation - WW2 Civil Mail

Started by Peter Harvey, May 09, 2023, 06:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Strictly note Forces Postal history, but WW2 permit mail using a wrapper to Stockholm. I spotted this for sale and I have not seem the cancellation mark before, I wonder could anyone help identify this for me?

I assume pre D-Day censorship, but I don't really see the point in obscuring the location, if you then enclose a newspaper, but then again, were newspapers allowed to be sent overseas (maybe not), so this could have been something else.

Any thoughts on the datestamp would be welcomed.

Peter

Jim Mackay

Hi Peter. Here's a similar(ish) newspaper branch postmark listed by Whitney (1993).

Jim

Peter Harvey

Hi Jim,

Thank you for this, it is much appreciated. I always forget to check Whitney, so your help has pointed me in the right direction.

Regards Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter

I have been meaning to respond to your query for some time - I do n't think it answers your question (re newspapers posted overseas) but does expand upon the Whitney listing.  It is taken from "English & Welsh Postmarks Since 1840" by James A Mackay (published by him 1980).  Under the section "Postmarks on Newspapers and Periodicals" the text relating to the relevant illustrations (2304, 2306-2309) states:

"Datestamps including the name 'London' were intended as cancellers and incorporated an obliterating element (2303, 2305), the majority having patterns of short lines (2304).  This style has continued to the present day in various guises (2306-9)."

As I say, doesn't help your query, just explains their use.

Mike