• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Indian Army Postal Service - FPO 101

Started by Khalid Omaira, April 22, 2013, 05:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khalid Omaira

Few days ago, an eBay (Item number 140953592026) item was ended with a description states: "[b]RAF India Demilitarization 1946 South East Asia Command in Sharja, Middle East[/b]". The cover is dated March 1946, with a sender address ([b]184866 S/L. FULLERTON. J. / IN TRANSIT. R.A.F.[/b]), I sent a message to the seller to know why he thought this envelop was sent from Sharjah, and he replied "[b]The cover came from an advanced collection and was described as such.   There were many camps at that time and opened and closed within weeks[/b]".

As recorded by Proud, this type is known used in Bahrain during the period 7 February 1946 to 15 April 1946.

My question: is it possible to know where (Mr. Fullerton. J.) was working when the envelop was sent? Is there any record where we can find more details about his location at that time?

Thank you very much!

Khalid Omaira

Today, I found in London Gazette that "John Fullerton" was appointed as Chaplains in 1944 (see the attachment). In the Keene United Church site (http://www.keeneunitedchurch.org/The_Hall_of_Reverends.html), I found what seems to be his biography.

Nick Colley

Hi, Khalid,
            I seem to have missed this first time around - sorry.  :(
            Your item is dated in March 1946 ? Having checked Brigadier Virk's book, he says FPO 101 was in Bahrein fom7.2.46-15.4.46.
            Ted Proud's text repeats that location and dates - perhaps he is simply accepting Virk's information at face value ? No reason not to ?

I'm not sure that helps, but it's all I have available.

rgds
N

mgibbs

Fits nicely and since he has displayed S/L on the back for Squadron Leader, this was the lowest Rank for a Chaplain of the RAF Branch, equivalent to the Chaplain 4th Class [Captain] in the Army. Nice.