• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW1 Malta Query

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 28, 2014, 09:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

Member Louis Bugeja from Malta has gone paperless and has recently been able to access the Forum - if only to access the online Journal.  We wish him well and hopes he also progresses onto this Discussion Forum !

He has submitted a query to me:

[color=maroon]Tried to research the attached Cachet from "The Buffs " regiment, but cannot trace to Malta, apparently they were in MALTA for eleven months in 1917 and not in 1919. If you can trace the cachet, would appreciate it. Looks like the card was written at sea, Do not know who that signature us from!! Bought it as from Malta, but I think it was not written here at all. I liked it as its interesting and full of history. I researched the Buffs on line and there is a mountain of info on them. They were a very distinctive Regiment!!. Added same to my Commonwealth censored collection.[/color]

Can anyone assist please.

Many thanks, Mike  ;)

Frank Schofield

Mike
Probably this one for David Ball & co.
According to James. The 2nd Battalion the Buffs (East Surrey Regt) embarked Marseilles between 25th -30th Oct 1915 for Alexandria (BAPO T is Port Said dated 2nd November 1915) makes it one of first sailings, they must have called at Malta on the way. They later went on to Salonika later in November
Frank Schofield

Frank Schofield

Mike
Why the hell has Marseilles been censored, I can see why  but this going too far when you cannot put a major port in an answer
Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

Because it thinks you are calling someone an ****!

Alan Baker

I knew it would censor that! :D

Michael Dobbs

Hello Frank

Thanks for your response, but calm down please - I didn't write the programme and I suspect what we have came with all the defaults and that includes any inappropriate or unfortunate words, no matter [u]how they are disguised[/u] !  You have said you know why the port name has been censored - and so do I now I know the spelling.

I will try and get the word set up as an approved word - failing that I will ask our webmaster to do it.

Regards, Mike

Michael Dobbs

Dear all

I think that I have now done it - it appears to be a very basic and not overly intelligent programme as there is no 'opt-in' list of acceptable words so I have changed the rule to check whole words and so if an inapproriate word is hidden amongst other letters it will get through.  However, given that this is a members only Forum I think we should be safe and if I get anyone flouting the rules then I can always add their names to the banned list !

So Marseilles is acceptable but **** on its own is not !

Mike  ;D

Frank Schofield

Mike
Well done, but you notice is it let the word "hell" through
Still it liven up the forum a bit
Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Thanks Frank - good to liven it up a bit from time to time !
Hell is not on the banned list - only much stronger words - so use it as much as you want !!

Mike  ;D

Chris Grimshaw

I'm confused, (:

Card is cancelled BAPO T 2nd November 1915,

There appears to be a printers date imprint bottom left of the card 29 - 3 - 17.

March 1917?

Cheers

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Please take another look - I make it out to be 2 NO 19

Mike

Robin Davis

Hello,

I agree with Mike that it's 19 rather than 15. The tail on the numeral is that of a 9 rather than a 5, and the back of it does not show up very well which is why at first sight it makes it look like a 5.

Kindest Regards

Robin

Frank Schofield

Gents

Its 1915, try checking where the 2nd Battalion Buffs were in November 1919, try INDIA
These Maltese postcards were printed in Italy so don't rely on any info printed on them, although it may be a reprint due date

Frank Schofield

dball

Hi, i've been asleep for sometime but now have retrieved my password and some sense.
Glad to see that louis is giving this card a good home .
agree with all the findings thus far but what about the m/s S.S.Devanha.Devanha was one of those hybrid ships that couldn't decide whether she was a troopship, as here on 2 NOV 15, or a Hospital ship.
But I have records ( P.P.Cs) of her being a Hospital Ship ( HMHS not S.S) between 14 OCT 15 and 20 APR 16 - these bear the Censor Mark CM2-2747 which had been issued ( Daniels) to the South Staffordshire Regt ( Suvls AUG 15 )!
You notice the overlap.
It very much looks to me as this is an example  of the very thing of which the Germans complained - A Troopship masqerading as a Hospital ship, and vice versa!
If anyone has more examples within the time-scale of Devanha or Cm2-2747 I should be very glad to hear of them.
I expect the Censor Mark was in the pocket of some itinerant M.O - tied up in his stethoscope.. -

akennedy

I agree the year would be 1919 rather than 1915.
BAPO T was not open in 1915.
2 Buffs had returned to UK (from Turkey) by April 1919. It would seem that they were off again.
2nd Buffs website shows Iraq 1920-22.
Alistair