• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

RNAS at Pulham, Norfolk WWI

Started by Tony Walker, June 30, 2014, 09:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I acquired a couple of letters recently, written by a CT Cresswell, sent from the RNAS Airship Station at Pulham (St Mary's) in Norfolk, in 1918.  Cresswell would appear to have been an engineer involved in experimental work with airships, as he moved around between several such sites during the war.

One envelope is cancelled with a Norwich machine cancel and the boxed slogan 'BUY NATIONAL / WAR BONDS' and the other by an incomplete double ring cancel, most probably from HARLESTON, a village adjacent to the air station, which had a post office at that time.

Towards the end of the war there were around 3000 people based there - a fair complement, but in his book 'Pulham Pigs', Gordon Kinsey makes no reference to any postal facilities on site, nor any to mail.

Does anyone have any information about  this air ststion - did they have their own internal post office?  Are any cancellations known?  The A.C.C. (Air Construction Corps) had a large contingent there early on, and they are known to have used there own A.C.C. circular censor mark whilst on site up in Orkney.

Tony Walker

Michael Gould

Tony. The only thing that I can add is that there was a staff described as 'for inspection duties' who pop up at various locations. Just what they inspected I am not sure but your man is likely to be one such. Michael.

Graham Mark

Hello Tony
If you can get hold of a copy of the official history "The War in the Air" vol.IV, there you will find references to Pulham.  p40: The first NS airshipwas sent there in early 1917 but that type proved unreliable although NS1 did make a flight of 1500 miles in 49 hours.  p62:  reports of loss of C17 and C27 airships from Pulham.  p76: lists the aircraft and airship stations which provided patrols,  Pulham included as "rigids and non-rigids, experimental".
I hope this will be be useful
Graham