• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Help with 1850 USA entrie needed.

Started by Chris Weddell, August 13, 2014, 09:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,
        Cn anyone read the name of the Col the etrie addressed to and can any one read and give me an idea of what the contents of the letter as i just cant read this one.  ??? I would like to try and reseach this one but i cant make out the full name.
                                                        regards
                                                        Christopher

Chris Grimshaw

Paul McTaggart

I agree with Chris that the surname looks like "Dawson".

The location address is Camden Ark (Arkansas) down south in confederate country USA.

How have you dated the cover ?

Paul

Alan Baker

I tried a Google search on "Col J Dawson Arkansas" and came up with a number of options, although not quite for these initials.

Apparently, in the American Civil War, there was a unit known as Dawson's Arkansas Infantry. Several Dawson's were Colonels and I found one who was a farmer in Camden, Arkansas. Didn't have time to look further but it might be worth exploring this route

Chris Weddell

Hi All,
    The letter is dated for 20th Dec 1850 and was sent from New Orleans.The letter is an invoice.I will try now to track down the Col. with the help given.
                                            Thanks
                                            Chris

Paul McTaggart

Hi Chris,

Found this. May be a lead or not ?

http://sparedandshared.wordpress.com/letters/1850-hezekiah-dews-to-col-john-h-dawson/

Paul