• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Tonkin Expeditionary Force

Started by abump, August 23, 2014, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abump

Is anyone able to provide any references for the Tonkin Expeditionary Force after 1886 and no later than 1913? I have a group of covers from 1885 to 1905 that I'm trying to write up, especially as it concerns the 9th Marine Infantry Regiment, and the APRL doesn't seem to have anything.

akennedy

Dear Almyr

A very useful book is "A chronologyof French Military Campaigns and Expeditions with their postal markings 1815 - 1983" by W M Waugh and S J Luft, edited by Robert G Stone. this was published in New York in 1984 by The France and Colonies Philatelic Society, inc. (NY) and The War Cover Club [now the MPHS].

This is a roughly chronological listing, with many postmarks illustrated, although not a great deal of detail. However it does include bibliographies of both postal and historical reference sources.

I hope this helps

Alistair Kennedy

abump

Alistair,

That's a tremendous help.  The APRL does have that book.  Thanks so much.