• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Boer War Shipping

Started by Michael Dobbs, August 30, 2014, 01:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

Member Wilf Vevers has posed the following:

[color=maroon]I have been trying to trace a record of shipping taken up by the Government during the Boer War and the allocation of numbers to each vessel.  Would you know where I might find this or can you put me in touch with someone who might have the answer?.

Any help would be much appreciated.[/color]

All responses gratefully received, Mike  ;)

Frank Schofield

Mike
There is a book, a medal roll:-
The Transport Medal Roll 1899-1902 (South Africa 1899-1902 & China 1900)
It lists all the Merchant Navy saliors who received the medals along with their ships
names but no Transport Numbers
Published by Roberts Publications Ltd in1990
Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Oh stop whinging Frank, it was only three days ago !

Many thanks for the info provided.  I always thank you for the information supplied - this enquiry came from a member and I wrote to that member stating that I had included it in the Forum and gave him details on how to log on.  I don't think he's done that yet so I'll probably end up emailing him with your response.

Mike ;)

Frank Schofield

Mike
Not whinging but common curtesy
But the forum seems to be getting a bit stale lately, with big daily gaps
Frank

Peter High

Mike

There is an article headed "Boer War Transports" in 'Ships in Focus; Record 10', published October 1999. It illustrates the transports and gives a brief description, including the stuft number (10 pages).  I will send Wilf a copy by post.
In addition, a publication by the War Office of 19 July 1900: "transports and Freight Ships for South Africa - Dates of Arrival at Cape Town" lists the ships, which regiments etc they conveyed, ports of call and dates and the odd notes. (No numbers though). Again, I will let Wilk have a copy.

Regards,

Peter  :)

Michael Dobbs

Peter

Many thanks for the information - this should help Wilf a great deal.

Mike  ;)