• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

3rd Royal Marine Brigade RND April 1915

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 02, 2014, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Cover from 3rd Brigade Royal Marines attached, censored by 2/ 2565, Allocated by FD to 3rd Battn Headquarters. Cancelled London Paid 15th April 1915,

The Avomouth Dock records (see my earlier post) make no mention of 3rd Battn H Quarters and the only references to the 3rd Brigade is the Deal Battn  carried on the Alnwick Castle & Portsmouth Battn carried on the Gloucester Castle. Mention is made of 7 Battns carried in total.

Clues anyone as to which vessel the remainder of 3rd Brigade and H Quarters sail on.

A total of 249 officers and 7,746 men sailed on these 7 vessels.  When did the rest of the RND depart.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

A bit confused by the reference to 'Howe' Btn, according to the Navy List, they were in the 2nd Bde RND in  1915

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank,

Got my Brigades mixed up, :( see modified post. Still only 7 Battalions accounted for though. The Franconia is the onlu Cunarder mentioned, she carried Drake & Nelson Battns

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Will scan and post the relevant pages.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris
Been busy sorting out what the 3rd Royal Marine Brigade was,  I did did not realise
that it was the 3rd Brigade Royal Naval Divison (consisting of all the RM Btns)
The Brigade HQ (GOC Brig C.N Trotman) embarked from Plymouth with the Plymouth Btn on 6th Feb 1915 on "Braemar Castle" the Chatham Btn were on the "Cowdor Castle" both ships arrived Malta on 14th then on to Tenedos on 21st Feb.
The 3rd RM Brigade had disappeared by Oct 1915, The Chatham & Deal Btns were amalgamated as were the Portsmouth & Plymouth Btns and all were serving in the 2nd Brigade RND under the command of Brig Trotman
Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks for this information Frank, appreciated. 

I'll try to be clearer in future, sorry about any confusion.

One thing which has puzzled me, where did the 3rd Battalion R Ms who went on to Garrison Lemnos etc from mid 1916 through to 1919 evolve from? I've not seen any information on this.

Cheers

Chris.

Frank Schofield

Chris

Further on 3rd  Bde, the 'RM' has appeared to have been dropped by July 1916, it had been reformed with the 1st and 2nd 'Anson' Btns, also 1st and 2nd RM Btns, with Brig Trotman back in command

The 3rd RM Btn is listed in my May 1917 Navy List, most of the senior officers had no appointment against their names in 1916, two were from ships and one from RND

I can see why it is easy to confuse the 3rd RM Brigade,with the 3rd RM Battalion

Again I hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

Your help and knowledge is appreciated.

Cheers

Chris