• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Help with HMS Clacton cover

Started by Chris Weddell, October 05, 2014, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,
        Could any one tell me what the location of HMS Clacton was on or around the 4th of April 1916.I have just got a cover from her.I know she was sunk later in the year in the Lavent.Thanks in advance.

Chris W.

Tony Walker

Hello Chris

I was rather hoping you would get a reply or two to your post - I'm afraid mine is of no help as my covers are from the Dardanelles/Gallipoli period when Clacton played an important role.

There seems to be no info as to where she went from there - lets hope some of the learned members on the Forum can help

Cheers
Tony Walker

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Chris

An Internet search shows the following,

HMS Clacton, built in 1904, was a screw minesweeper, pennant number M30. Displacement was 820 tons and she carried two 12-pounder guns. From 1914 until September 1915 when she became the T04 she served in the Dardanelles, transferring wounded to hospital ships.
She was torpedoed on the 3rd August 1916 by U73 at Chai Aghizi in the Levant.

Thursday, 3 August 1916
Clacton, auxiliary screw minesweeper, torpedoed and sunk by U.73 in Aegean

Casualties

ADDISON, David, Seaman, RNR, B 4217
FRAME, Alexander, Leading Trimmer, RNR, ST 410
JAMES, Archibald N, Engine Room Artificer 4c, M 13584 (Dev)
MCKELVEY, Charles J, Ty/Engineer Sub Lieutenant, RNR
MORTIMORE, Francis E, Ty/Engineer Lieutenant, RNR

Chai Aghizi is off the Turkish coast in the Bodrum area, site of a UB base.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Weddell

Hi Tony and Chris,
                          Thank you both for your help. I did find that info on the internet last night. So i think HMS Clacton was in the Dardanelles or Levent and i now know what Clacton was doing there.

Cheers
                                                          Chris

Michael Gould

Chris. You may like to note that a London machine postmark usually denotes a ship abroad (or, perversely, on some south coast locations). Michael

Chris Weddell

Michael,
            Thank you for your help with this one and thanks for the information on the London machine postmark.

Chris. ;D