• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

2nd Battalion York and Lancashire Regiment

Started by Peter Harvey, October 22, 2014, 07:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi,

I am trying to help a correspondent tracing some history of a Private soldier with the 2nd Bn York and Lancaster Regiment from WW1, any ideas on research would be welcome.

Private 7852 Tom Oliver of the 2nd Bn York and Lancaster Regiment I think joined the Army prior to WW1 in March of 1914 and went overseas with the regiment in July of the same year, he was killed in action 10 Oct 1914 aged 31. My search results have all come up with the discovery of a mass grave in France in 2009, this was associated with the battle at Beaucamp Ligny, which was 18 - 20 Oct (beyond the date of his death given by the Army), however the MOD have now confirmed that he was not one of the bodies found, therefore I am stumped to how to research further.

Any thoughts on where else there may be a service history for this soldier would be appreciated?

Thank you.

Graham Mark

The War Diary  of 2Y&L would probably tell you of any minor action on the day of the soldier's death.  I doubt it will name him though.  We should not assume that all soldiers died in major named actions.  He could well have fallen victim to a sniper.  If he was not found in the mass grave does he have a CWGC grave?  I presume you would have said so if you had found one.
Graham

Chris Grimshaw

Details from thev CWGC

Rank:PrivateService No:7852Date of Death:19/10/1914Age:31Regiment/Service:York and Lancaster Regiment 2nd Bn. Panel Reference:Panel 8.Memorial:PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIALAdditional Information:Son of Mr. T. Oliver, of Spon Lane, Grendon, Atherstone, Warwickshiretry

There's a slim chance his service record may have survived, I'll check Ancestry when I get chance.

The IWM have a project ongoing where all the War Diaries from this period are being transcribed, a search on their site may show further details.

Trust this helps.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

A little more information shown below

SDGW shows

Name: Tom Oliver
Birth Place: Austrey, Atherstone
Residence: Atherstone
Death Date: 18 Oct 1914
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Lichfield
Regiment: York and Lancaster Regiment
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Regimental Number: 7852
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Medal Card shows

Entry into theatre 9/9/14    KIA

There is a Service record on Ancestry, one page only found so far, allmost unreadable due to fire damage.

Cheers

Chris

Peter Harvey

Thanks all for your help, the lady who asked me for information will be most impressed with this. Much appreciated.

Peter