• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

PASSED BY CENSOR H Stamp Gould 4B59?

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 10, 2014, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Attached is my write up of a PPC cancelled Basy APO Y 20th October 15, located on board HMT Aragon at Mudros.  PASSED BY CENSOR H/stamp

which I think is Gould 4B59 55 mm x 4.5 mm.

Any clues as to who was using this Hand-stamp.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Got a bit confused at first I was looking for a PASSED BY CENSOR H, but once I brought up the scan I realised it was PASSED CENSOR (no BY) and the 'H' was part of the word Handstamp, anyway back to the censor mark
Gould states 4B59 is HMS Sandhurst (Repair Ship) but this cannot be her, as in Oct 1915 she was ex German Manipur disguised as a dummy Battlecruiser Indomitable. Stationed in Loch Ewe in Oct 1915 she was paid off in that month and converted to HMS Sandhurst in by Sept 1916
Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

Sorry about the confusion.

I've checked the measurements, 55 mm to the right hand side of the dot at the end.

Cheers Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris - did you create this poll ?  If so, was it deliberate or accidental (if the latter I can delete it it).  Otherwise what is it trying to achieve as I cannot understand the significance ?

Regards, Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Mike

Not sure what you mean about "Poll"

I'm using "Google Chrome" at home at present, brings the Forum up very differently than Internet Explorer which I'd been using.

Think I have clicked on something by accident.

Chris

Michael Gould

If this, as you last post suggests, has a stop, then this looks like 4B16. If you read the introductory notes you will see that all quoted dimension exclude any stop. Michael.