• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

21st DAC

Started by Alan Baker, November 19, 2014, 04:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I have a rather grubby wrapper (attached I hope) addressed to a bombardier with the 21st DAC, BEF France. It was posted in Manchester in March 1918, as far as I can make out.

I have endeavoured to trace Bombardier Dutton, but no luck. Can anyone give me any info, for example, what does "DAC" stand for and where they might have been at this time?

Many thanks

Frank Schofield

Alan

Try  21st Divisional Ammunition Column

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Alan

If DAC does stand for Divisional Ammunition Column as suggested by Frank (and this seems most likely) see the following link which provides an order of battle for 21st Division and down in the list under Divisional Troops you will find a reference to 21st Divisional Ammunition Column RFA:
http://www.1914-1918.net/21div.htm

There is more information on 21st DAC showing movements and locations at this link (you will need to scroll down):
http://www.mawddachdreams.co.uk/ww1-the-ultimate-sacrifice/81-albert-edward-hickenbotham-battle-of-st-quentin-march-1918.html

Regards, Mike  ;)

Frank Schofield

Alan

Any initials for Bdr Dutton???

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

No but the wrapper quotes his service number as 93270

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

No Dutton with this service Number traced in the Medal Cards, there are 1143 Dutton's recorded but not this one.

Also no one with the service number alone.  Nothing in CWGC or Soldiers Died Great war.

If he went overseas I can't trace him I'm afraid. There are a lot of Royal Field Artillery which Divisional Ammunition column would suggest, possibly sender got the service number wrong.

Cheers

Chris