• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Forces Air Letters

Started by usjoeden, January 16, 2015, 03:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usjoeden

I have get a 'new' type of a FAL. earlier never seen by me.
I would like to know when this issue was issued. It is marked 'MOD Form 674 (Rev 01/07) RM Form MISC 54'. Released January 2007? Could it be so easy?

Ulf

Michael Dobbs

Ulf

The simple answer to your question is - yes !  Rev 01/07 indicates Revised January 2007.  I have not seen this before, I hope that the Postal Stationery Society has and that they have recorded it.

I don't know if you are aware of articles written by the late John Daynes on such stationery ?  These were originally called "Aerogrammes" and were referred to a Forces Aerogrammes.  When authorisation was given to their use postage free to or from Forces personnel in certain operational areas (the first being Northern Ireland then the South Atlantic during the Falklands War) they were referred to as Forces Free Aerogrammes - they soon became known as "Blueys" due to their colour (even though some later printings were in white !).  The articles concerned are:

As part of an article on "The Second Gulf War" there was an appendix: "Appendix A - Forces Free Aerogramme Letter Forms (MOD 674) - Blueys" in Newsletter 256 (Summer 2003) John refers to the MOD Form 674 was modified in April 2001 and listed the various printings, together with a revised printing in August 2002.  John used a numbering system used by Arthur Roberts of the Postal Stationery Society with whom he had been in correspondence over such aerogrammes.

An update article appeared in Newsletter 261 (Autumn 2004) regarding a later printing of the August 2002 design (Rev 08/02) and a new design  (Rev 04/03) which also shows use of RM Form MISC 54 alongside MOD Form 674.

Your Aerogramme is yet another revised design - were there any in between - I don't know.  I will try and find out if this has been reported by the Postal Stationery Society.  It is something that needs to be recorded in our Journal in due course.

Regards, Mike  ;)

usjoeden

Mike!

Thank you for your prompt answer - I have had trouble with my printer for some weeks. The Brother Support pointed out that the laser printer is OK but the ADSL-router had gone 'kaputt'. Now I have got a new one from the net owner. But I have a lot of objects to write up and mount. I am getting impatient!

Yes, I have now read the two articles by the late mr Dayne. Even this issue has two phosphor bands as the 04/03 issue. My cover is adressed to UK, to one of the FPHS members. I have not enough knowledge of the FAL:s of today to write an article in our Jornal, but I can supply Colin with a good copy, if he has use for it.

Another question, I am not familiar to all the english military shortenings, what OC/QM stands for? QM = Quarter master?

Regards,

Ulf

Michael Dobbs

Ulf

I am asking someone who is not on the internet to see if it has been recorded by the Postal Stationery Society.  I will be seeing him on 26th January.

OC / QM = Officer Commanding and Quartermaster respectively.  Quartermaster is usually spelt as one word, not two.

Nice cover, even though it is philatelic.  Peter Harvey looks at the Forum from time to time - he may well comment.

Regards, Mike

Forgot to add that the KATHMANDU BFPO 4 Self Inking Datestamp (SID) extends the period of useage I have recorded by two years !

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

Here are reverse copies of the 03/04 printing and the 01/07 printing - the changes on the later printing are significant, if you do not have a copy let me know and i will dig one out and mail to you. The 01/07 printing is a different paper, less weight, also to the front the word DEFENCE LOGISTICS and Defence Logistics Agency have been omitted. You will note on the reverse the wording i
s completely different.

I have not seen any new ones for a long while so will check what the current version is.

Regards

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Ulf

I have been in correspondence with both Peter Harvey and a non-member associated with the Postal Stationery Society on the matter and have been given examples and listings.  All I need now is the time to review what the late John Daynes recorded in the Journal and bring it up-to-date with these new findings !

Watch this space - or rather the Journal, for updates in due course !

Regards, Mike