• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Unusual Address

Started by Frank Schofield, July 18, 2015, 09:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

Here's one that's beaten me
On a ppc of Rome to APO S101 (Main Base at Arquata)
Addressed to the Horial Employment Co, (not on any Order of Battle list)
I cannot trace the word Horial in any Military, English or Italian dictionary
Have even tried all the vowels, ie Ha, He, Hi, & Hu
Any suggestions appreciated
Frank Schofield

Robin Davis

Hello Frank,

I can see how you have arrived "Horial" but I think it reads "Aerial Employment Coy". Hope this helps?

Kindest Regards

Robin

Frank Schofield

Robin

Many thanks, I thought that too  BUT look at the 'A' in APO underneath, it is not the same

Frank

Alan Baker

My reaction was the same as Robin's, although the first letter is not quite the same as the "A" below.

Have you any idea what the rest of the address means?

Frank Schofield

Alan

A.P.O,(not APC), Army Post Office
S101, Used at the Main Base at Arquata, North of Genoa
I.E.F  Italian Expeditionary Force

Hope that's what you wanted

Frank

Reg Gleave

Googling Aerial Employment Company shows a piece from the Harrogate Herald of 31 October 1917 referring to a Private E Williams attached to an Aerial Employment Company thanking the paper for a watch. Sadly there is no more information but it seems to confirm the address.
Reg Gleave

Frank Schofield

Yes I found this reference which is of very little help, but seems to confirm the existence of these particular units, but why put a 'H' in front of the word.

Arial suggests up in the air, but surely that's to do with the RFC or RAF although Balloon spotting might come into it

The mystery remains

Frank Schofield

Frank Schofield

Suddenly a strange thought stikes

is the answer 'H' Arial Employment Coy??

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

I think it says "Aerial" and he started to write it wrongly as an "H" and then changed it.

There are not many Relfs listed on Forces War Records. One was a member of the West Yorkshire Regiment in 1916. If I am reading K&C correctly APO L8 was in Rome in 1918. The only unit of the WY Reg sent to Italy, as far as I can see, was the 11th Battalion.

Another was with the Sherwood Foresters. Again their 11th Battalion was sent to Italy

Might be worth checking out their service records in more detail

Unfortunately, Ancestry lists rather more Relfs...

Frank Schofield

Alan

APO L.8. was the British Military Mission in Rome
Staff were not necessary from units serving in Italy
I have in my database record of 93 Private Relf's serving in WW1
Again was Relf on Staff or just visiting on leave perhaps, we will never know unless further items turn up

Frank