• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FPO 271

Started by Jim Etherington, October 16, 2015, 06:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I have a registered cover cancelled with FPO 271 dated 13 November 1940. The references I have consulted (i.e. Proud, Entwistle, Crouch & Hill) make no specific reference to this cancel being used at this date. The cover is back stamped with a Maidstone Kent Registered cancel also dated 13 November. This obviously suggests the cancel was being used by a military unit in the Maidstone area, presumably on anti-invasion duties.
Can any one provide me with any additional information?

akennedy

Allocation of 271 was as given in Proud, i.e. 12th Division, returned to store on 30/7/40. However this was not for use in BEF, datestamps 135 to 139 having been issued for use there. 269 to 273 were allocated for subsequent use. But 12th Division was disbanded on 10th July 1940. Any UK use by 12th Division in UK would have been for a short period in June/July. 271 was reallocated to 8 Corps on 6/9/43. the available records do not have any indication of use between these periods.
However I have records of use on 3 and 5 Feb 1942, and also 21 NO 42. Unusually, both the February covers have identification - of 31st Army Tank Brigade. This Brigade was formed in Northern Command on 15/1/41, and was in South Eastern Command 29/11/41 to 21/5/42, then to 53rd Division on 17/5/42.

Your cover of 13 Nov 40 does not fall within that period of use. Is the date clear, on both FPO and Maidstone?

Alistair

Ingo Egerlandt

Hello Jim,
please take a picture from your envelope to the comments.
Ingo

Jim Etherington

Hi Alistair,
Thank you for your comments. I've taken another look at the cover and it is definitely FPO 271 and dated 13 NOV 40. There are three very clear strikes, two tying the stamps and one on the registration label. Additionally there are another two very clear strikes on the reverse together with the 'Registered Maidstone' cancel also dated 13 NO 40.

Do I have something unrecorded?

Jim