• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Help with F.P.O 36

Started by Andrew Tott, October 22, 2015, 06:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Tott

Purchased this cover the other day but not sure what the F.P.O mark is on the back, I think that it might be one used by British forces in India but cant find much information as to when or by who.
It has F.P.O No 36 and dated 17th July 1915.
The front has a type 3/498 as this is recorded as being used by the 1st Battalion Highland Light Infantry, the battalion was in Ambala India in August 1914 moved to France December 1914 then to Mesopotamia December 1915.
The address on the front is to I think:
Mrs S.A.Finny ?
14 Stoneham Road
Upper Clapton
London.
I did a quick search on the internet for this address and it come up with a entry on the C.W.G.C. site for a Sidney. Aleck. Finn for this address, who was killed on the 26th October 1914 aged 31 while serving as lance corporal L/7796 with the 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.
Could this be the same person or am I reading the surname wrong.
Any information with the F.P.O. or the surname would be a great help.
Many Thanks Andy 

Alan Baker

If this was addressed to Mrs Finn, it clearly did not come from her husband, who died 9 months before.

Sidney Alick Finn's widow, Mary Eleanor Finn, lived at 14 Stoneham Road until at least 1939 and does not appear to have remarried. On the 1911 Census, they were listed as having been married less than a year (on 28th August 1910).

They had at least one daughter, Doris Eleanor, born in 1912, who was still living with her in 1939

All this courtesy of Ancestry. Not sure if it helps

Chris Weddell

Hi Andrew

I can help a little with the Indian F.P.O. mark to the back of the cover. I have it listed in Indian base and field post offices 1914 to 1921 edited by C R Entwistle. F.P.O. 36 as being at the Western Front between 1914-1915 and from 1916-1919 being in Mesopotamia. Sorry i cant be of very much help but this checklist is only very basic.

Chris S-W  :-\

Peter Harvey

Hi Andrew,

Just to add a little bit of information - Ted Proud records this with the 9th Sirhind Bde 3rd Lahore Division located this date at La Gorgue in France.

Peter

Graham Mark

Hello Andrew
The 1st Highland LI was in the 9th (Sirhand) Bde of 3rd (Lahore) Div so it all ties together.
The only outstanding questions are the name of the sender and addressee, upon which I cannot offer any help.
Each Indian Brigade had one British Battalion during WWI.
Graham

akennedy

I agree that Indian FPO 36 was used by 9th (Sirhind) Brigade of 3rd (Lahore) Division, in which 1 HLI served on the Western Front from November 1914 to late 1915.

I read the addressee's name as Finny.

Alistair

Andrew Tott

Many thanks to all that replied with information I should now be able to write it up.
once again many thanks.
Andy