• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

IFPO 400 1920 Unknown Handstamp

Started by Chris Grimshaw, January 07, 2016, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

OHMS Cover to George King from IFPO 400 28th December 1920 with what appears to be an unrecorded Hand-stamp, 

CERTIFIED OFFICIAL. O,C.  A.P. & S.D. signed Whitworth.

Any clues as to what this means appreciated.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Further thoughts on this one,

Officer Commanding, Army Post & Signal Department.  Possibly a internal hand-stamp.

Anyone offer anything else.

George King covers have to be treated with caution as he often had "manufactured" many items when writing to the various Army Offices.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

To me S.D. indicates Staff Duties - but I cannot think what A.P. would stand for.  Staff Duties are found at higher command level, so I may be completely wrong.

Regards, Mike

akennedy

I would agree with Chris that Army Posts and Signals Department is the most likely interpretation. This was not one of George's manufactured covers, but a reply to a query raised by him, or posibly fulfillment of an order for IEF stamps - except that if it wwas that the envelope would probably have been set registered.

Alistair

Graham Mark

How about "Army Printing and Stationery Depot"  (or Department).  We know there was an Army Printing unit is Salonika during the war and AP&SD appears as the imprint on eg Censor labels.
Regards to all
Graham

Michael Dobbs

Graham - thank you - I like your interpretation much, much better !

There is a reference to such a unit in The National Archives - War Diary: WO 95/4948 1916 Feb. - 1919 Oct. Army Printing and Stationery Depot.

There are references to HQ Army Printing & Stationery Services in Italy and Salonika and also to an Army Printing and Stationery Depot in Le Havre on the Western Front.

Graham: I think you can got it right.

Mike  :D

Graham Mark

Coming back to this one, I have looked at the signature.
Could be FR Whitworth, or JR or TR.  Neither of first two in Oct 1918 Army List
but TR Whitworth is there - Supplementary Officer, 2nd Lt RGA 27 May 17.
As expected he is not in 1925 Army List.
Chris you can look him up in the medal rolls, I expect, for a full name
Graham

akennedy

Agreed, Graham. I overlooked the obvious!
Alistair

Chris Grimshaw

Graham / Alistair

Thanks for your input, will research Whitworth and see what I come up with.

Cheers

Chris