• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2 Malta AMLC Query

Started by Alan Green, February 20, 2016, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Green

All,

The attached Air Mail Letter Card was sent from Malta on 8th November 1943 and it had me puzzled for a while, as there is no equivalent type listed in ORJ Lee's British Forces Air Mail Letter Cards & Air Letters (2nd edn 1988).

Further research reveals the AMLC is probably an Indian Military lettercard, as the legend S.S.P. Ltd apparently refers to Sree Saraswaty Press at Calcutta. The writer, a Royal Navy chaplain, had recently travelled to Malta from Bombay, so a hand-carried Indian AMLC seems to fit.

I wonder if anyone on this Forum has access to ORJ Lee's companion volume Indian Military Air Letter Cards 1942-47 and could advise the Lee type number for this particular AMLC?

Many Thanks,
Alan Green

Chris Weddell

Alan

I can help a little bit on the Chaplain who sent the air mail letter card to his wife. He was Rev Meredyth R.N.V.R. who in 1944 and 1945 was the Chaplain on the British hospital ship Vita. I do not know if he was Chaplain in 1943 on the Vita but it would be worth a look as i am sure the Vita went to Malta. Sorry i cant be of much help with your main question.

Chris  ;D

Alan Green

Chris,

Thanks for your reply and I believe you are correct in associating Meredyth with HMHS Vita. I've attached a page from the Navy List for Dec.43 which shows his assignment to the ship from 23Jun43.

I haven't been able to confirm that HMHS Vita actually picked up Meredyth at Malta, although Vita was in the area, having supported the Salerno landings in September 43.
The last correspondence I have from Meredyth at Malta is dated 14.11.43.

In case anyone is interested some of his 1944/45 correspondence is currently listed on ebay, although the main lot finishes tomorrow morning (21st Feb).

Kind Regards,
Alan

Chris Weddell

Alan,

Could you let me know all the dates of your mail from the Rev when he was aboard H.M.H.S. Vita.

I brought the Ebay lot as my main collecting area is hospital ships. The covers just came in the post about 2 hours ago, they seems to go back to just before he started his service in 1943 aboard the Vita. So i will soon know where he was stationed before he joined the Vita and where he was when he first went aboard her. I will post the info here. I can say i do not think the Vita picked him up at Malta.

Regards

Chris  :D

Alan Green

Hi Chris,

The only Meredyth correspondence that I have are 3 AMLCs sent from Malta.
They cover a very short period of time (only six days), but there are some interesting comments:
8.11.43 Union Club, Malta "Here I am at last...my ship is not here....some items left behind in Bombay..."
10.11.43 RN Mess, Union Club, Malta "May be off at any time to join my ship..."
14.11.43 RN Mess, Union Club, Malta "I am off again shortly, back to where I came from....there seems every likelihood of my really catching my ship this time & about time too."
Hopefully, this information will fit together with your other items and produce a picture of the Reverend's travels.

Kind Regards, Alan