• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Czechoslovak army censors in the UK, WW2

Started by Nick Colley, March 28, 2016, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, the attached has been found lurking in the John Daynes files relating to the 2nd Edition of the Censor Book. There is no corroboratory documentation. Without any such supporting evidence, I think we may find it difficult to justify its inclusion in the 2nd Edition.

So, can any of you supply me with some scans and recorded dates, so we can both include the mark(s) AND say something useful about them ?.

No response means they will NOT be included.

Talk to me, folks !

Adios
N

Michael Dobbs

Nick

I have looked through the following publications of the Czechoslovak PS of GB:

- Czechoslovak Army & Air Force in Exile 1939-45 (Monograph No 1, 1981) by Alec Page
- Supplement to above, 1982
- Czechoslovak Army in France (Monograph No 5, 1987) by Roy Reader
- The Czechoslovak Independent Armoured Brigade in France and their Return Home 1944-45 (Monograph No 27, 2014) by Richard Beith

and cannot find this censor illustrated.

What does the rest of the text state at the very bottom (not reproduced)?

I would suggest their inclusion but either not numbered or indeed numbered, but in each case a clear statement that they have not been seen and that there is no corroboratory documentation or supporting evidence that they were indeed used.

Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Thanks, Mike, yes, that's fine, done.

chrs
N

akennedy

The Czechs obviously produced these with the intention of issuing them to the Czech units in the UK.
However there are no records of them being used.
Presumably the British authorities over-ruled the Czechs and issued them with standard British army censor stamps for security reasons.

Presumably the bottom line of text is missing from the JD copy?

Alistair

Nick Colley

Thanks, Alistair.

I'm now verging on schizophrenia. Shall we include them or not in the 2nd Edition ? I'm reluctant to do so if they were not issued.

The bottom line, Alistair, reads 'Great Britain'. Or it would do if the photocopy in John's files was complete....

chrs
N

Regis Hoffman

I am in the "include it in the book" camp.

I believe philatelic books should include as much information as possible, even if it is a discussion of something that may or may not exist.

akennedy

I think include an illustration of a single item with note that numbers 1 to 16 were prepared but almost certainly not issued.

Alistair