• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Reseal Label

Started by ehall, April 07, 2016, 06:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehall

I have several covers with cachets Addressee Reported Missing. All have a striped dumb cancel with ARMY POST OFFICE in violet on the back. This cover also has a reseal label of the Army Post Office. This one has not been given a return address by the sender so I assume has been opened to get the address from the contents

Where were these applied, in the country that returned the letter or after the letter was returned.

Graham Mark

Hello Edmund
I believe the practice was to return the letter to the Army PO in UK and they made sure the family knew of the casualty/mia before the letter was returned to the writer.
The Army Post Office label is so close to similar labels used by the Post Office (civil) that I would be 99.9% sure the labels were used in UK rather than an overseas location.  Similarly the barred circle Army Post Office canceller is I am sure a UK item.
Best regards
Graham

ehall

Thanks G I think applied in UK

jpiercy

Hi Edmund
To my knowledge, these cachets were applied at the Home Depot in Nottingham. As Graham says, this was only after the addressee had been informed in advance.
All the best
Jeremy