• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW1 Censor Mark 804

Started by jleathes, September 26, 2016, 01:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jleathes

I have a cover purporting to come from a Armed Boarding Vessel engaged on the Northern Patrol. However it has a civilian (?) censor label "OPENED BY CENSOR 804" in black and white resealing the envelope.  The date is 11 December 1915. The Krag appears to be MA5. Any help in identifying where this 804 was used and on what date much appreciated

Graham Mark

Hello John
Censor 804 was a "London censor", BUT London sent censors to out-stations like the Northern Isles, Falmouth, Folkestone and in 1916 to some overseas stations.
On 10 April 1915 a warrant was issued at the request of The Admiralty to examine mail from the Orkneys.
I have examples of censors 802, 803, 805 and 806, all on mail from The Orkneys, and I am sure 804 would also have been in that team.  They were destined for Kirkwall but the lack of accommodation there meant they set up their operation at Inverness.  The official Report on Postal Censorship says this censorship began on 22 June 1915.
Further warrants were obtained which brought in mail from Cromarty & Invergordon (29 July15) and Shetlands Isles (18Aug15).  On 4Nov15 half the staff were moved to Edinburgh and the Inverness censor station was closed on Christmas Eve 1915 "in view of the meagre results obtained".
Best regards,  Graham

jleathes

Thanks Graham _ knew I could rely on you ! That all fits in with where the vessel "Stephen Furness" could have been in December 1915. I am trying to establish her exact whereabouts around that time landing mail at Kirkwall a distinct probability with the general picture but one never knows which makes it all such fun !  Cheers John