• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

World War 1 occupation postage stamps

Started by Andrew Tott, October 16, 2016, 01:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Tott

Not sure if this is the correct subject to be putting on this forum but they are military issue and I do have many covers for this subject.
Over the past few years of collecting WW1 British military covers I have also collected many covers from different European  countries with occupation stamps, I am now trying to put together a collection of occupation issue and military issue stamps.
I have done a list of countries I think issued stamps while in occupation also countries that issued military or fund raising stamps.
I don't want countries that issued war tax or war fund as I already have a collection of them.
if anyone has any other information or can point me in the direction of more information I would be very grateful
Andy

Alan Baker

Andy

I wish you luck! This looks a daunting field.

A few additions: Togoland, which was occupied by Britain and France and had stamps overprinted in both languages
Marshall Islands - overprinted GRI - see New Guinea in Part I (under Australia)
Cameroons - French occupation
Samoa - see under New Zealand

GEA - overprinted by Belgium (Belgian Congo stamps) and E Africa & Uganda Protectorates (part I)
IEF - Indian Expeditionary Force - in Africa and Middle East

NB Mozambique, Quelimane and Tete were Portuguese colonies and not occupied by Portugal during the war

A year or so ago, I started a small collection of German colonies and found an old edition of SG Part II (1949) listed the basic stamps in a much more useful way than the up to date catalogues.

Hope this helps

Alan