• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

BEF 1939-40 FPOs

Started by Jim Etherington, January 05, 2017, 09:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I've noted that certain FPOs used by the BEF in France during 1939-40 have an A or B above the date.  In the examples I have the A or B can occur with the same FPO number. All the numbers are listed by Daynes and/or Proud as being in use at stationary APOs (e.g.  Brest, Reims). Can anyone inform me of the significance of these letters?

Jim

Michael Dobbs

Jim

I have always understood them to mean time codes (or certainly in the majority of cases).  In postwar FPOs there is also the letter C and an asterisk (*) can also be found in WW2 and post-war strikes.  There were generally two FPO datestamps of the same number in each FPO box and so the use of A and B slugs could be to distinguish between the two or else they were time codes (e.g. AM or PM).  In some cases there was no time code shown.  There may be general rules on what code (or no code) to use and there may be local uses.  I hope someone with more knowledge can provide a fuller explanation.

Mike  ;)

Jim Etherington

Thanks Mike,
I had a feeling that they might have something to do with times, particularly as the FPOs I have seem to be from stationary offices. It will be interesting if a member can provide a definitive answer.
Jim

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Jim,

it is given A, B and *. But only from the large Units from the BEF 39-40, FPO 30 or FPO 10. I think about the Units need more than one handstamp and than the unit ordered two or three other handstamps. Different Offices...I don´t no? Time declare clear with pm or am like the normal Post Office handstamps.

But, when I look in my Ocean Post Office collection form Cape of Good Hope. The different letter sign the ship where the handstamp used.

Than they can used the same unit outside from the HQ.

First step. Let us looking for, which FPO´s has got letters and which signs.

Ingo

Jim Etherington

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for your response to my query.

I think you are correct in noting the A and B were used by larger units and/or stationary offices. All my examples come from GHQ PU (6, 5, 27) or stationary offices (30 St Nazaire, 35 Brest and 66 Rennes). But this still does not explain when and why A or B was used.

I also have a large number from AFPUs, particularly 26, 41 (Reims) and 68. If I use FPO 41 as an example, I have 9 with A, 2 with B and 2 without either. A  and B, as Mike suggests, may indicate the time of posting (am or pm), but how do you account for the ones that have neither?

Until someone is able to provide the definitive answer I think my query will remain unresolved.

Jim

PS
Could you send me your email address as I have some queries about the list you recently sent me. The one I have keeps being returned as undelivered.