• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Greek Air Force after WW2

Started by Tony Warren, January 30, 2017, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Warren

I have a RHAF cover from Gaza, Palestine addressed to Athens, dated 29/11/1945 bearing  FPO 154 cds (BFPO ).
I am aware that the Greeks would have been absorbed into the "greater" RAF along with many other nationalities. However, I had thought that with the Greeks and their air force being upto their armpits in the civil war with the communists for some time that they would have been released and returned home many months previously. 

Nick Colley

Now that is a good question. I can't really help with the answer, but I can contribute the following:

There were two Greek Squadrons serving with the RAF in WW2, 335 and 336, according to Jefford's book. At the time of your item, both of these were based at a location called Sedes. This is unknown on Google Maps, but Jefford's most helpful map shows this to be near Thessaloniki. You'd have though, wouldn't you, that the supporting tail of a front line squadron would be, well, not far away - certainly not as far as Gaza.

However, Jefford's book records that these squadrons were not formally transferred back to Greek control until 31st July 1946.

Does anyone else have anything more substantial to offer ? (I hope so....)

rgds
Nick.

Tony Warren

Nick,
I am also a member of the HPS of GB [Greece]
and have obtained the following response:-
The Greek Civil war started in 1946 but I would not be surprised if the British Forces were not already in Greece in late 1945. They have been instrumental in facing the communists.
Of course Palestine was under British rule/protection at the time and liaising with Greece in the effort would of course use the BFPO. The extra dimension of the Hellenic Air Force makes the cover very unusual.
It would be interesting to know to whom was the cover addressed to and perhaps who was the originator.

I have sent him pics of the cover in question plus pics of RAF covers from Athens almost a year earlier - you can see my confusion.

Tony Warren