• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

10th Gurkha Rifles in 1941

Started by usjoeden, January 30, 2017, 05:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usjoeden

Please can anyone advise me of some details in the scanned cover:

Posted in Scotland 22 of May 1941 to a Cadet W. A. Cramond(??) His No. is 22, 12th Pluton, 4th Coy of the Cadet College in Bangalore, India.

On the reverse side of the cover there are six (6) different marks in black, lila and red. The 1st one must be the Censor D11 of Madras. I assume Madras was the 1st station for incoming post from abroad.
The 2nd one is from Bangalore dated 19.JU.41 (rectangular mark "Buy Defense Saving Certificate").
The address then has been changed to 3/10 Gurkha Rifles, QUETTA. The cover arrived in Quetta 27th of July 1941 (= the 3rd postmark QUETTA 27JLY 41).
I think the 4th mark is STAFF COLLEGE 29JUL 41 12.30 PM according to another red sign British Mily Hospital Bangalore.
But there are two another unknown marks: the rectangular one with a text in lila. I can only read the lower part of the mark. Does anybody of the members know the complete text of it? Any ideas of what type of mark this is?
The 6th mark is a S/r machine cancellation. I read "1941" in the lower part.

This cover tells me more:
The cover took almost three month to reach India by air mail. Of course, the war made the postal unsafe and took long time. The cover then had some roving days until the Cadet got it.

In 1950 The 10 Gurkha Rifles changed its  name to 10th Princess Mary's own G. R.

I hope some of you can contribute with some ideas.

Ulf