• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

S.P.S. Club? (non-military)

Started by Regis Hoffman, February 20, 2017, 02:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regis Hoffman

This is a non-military question, but I have searched in vain for 10+ years for information on this label and I suspect it originates in the UK so maybe some member can help.

I have a serous collection of Hollywood movie star fan mail (20,000+ covers) and have three with a label reading "Member S.P.S. Club" (see attached scan). All are from either England or a Commonwealth nation and are addressed to a Hollywood movie star (posted between 1928 and 1930). The labels appear to have stylized film sprocket holes in the design and maybe be from an organized cinema/movie fan club.

If any member knows about these or maybe knows someone who studies UK film history, maybe they know the origin of these labels. I have searched books, movie fan magazines, and reached out to label/cinderella collectors, but cannot find the meaning of "SPS Club."

Thanks for any help!
Regis Hoffman

Jim Mackay