• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Newspaper wrapper - postage due, 1941

Started by Nick Colley, February 04, 2020, 07:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Hi, all,

Can anyone dispel my ignorance wrt postage rates - and therefore postage dues -  for newspapers from the Royal Navy in WW1 (specifically 1941 - see attached), please?  The attached pdf shows an intact wrapper: there are no postage stamps applied at all, not even any postage dues, so presumably the 2 1/2d due that was raised was not, in fact levied?

To focus on specific unknowns:

Nick Colley

As I was saying before the damned laptop ran away with me  >:(, specific unknowns are:

- What was the correct (single?) rate for newspapers?

- For what concession (if any) did RN personnel qualify?

- How does 2 1/2 d fit with any answers to the above?

Any assistance and enlightenment will be received most gratefully  8). The previously promised attachment should be attached with this post......

Thanks a lot.

Nick

Peter Harvey

Hi Nick,

I am not sure of the rates for newspapers, I will look this out and see what I can find.

However, from 1 Jul 1940 2.1/2d was the newspaper rate for up to 12oz - your wrapper has noted over 6oz, so i assume the charge was because a rate was exceeded.

Peter 

Nick Colley

Thanks, Pete, that's progress. I wonder if the rate for 6-12 oz at this time (April 1941) was 2. 1/2d, and the due has been raised at the single rate? But not actually levied - there is no postage due stamp affixed.

chrs
N