• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Newspaper wrapper - postage due, 1941

Started by Nick Colley, February 04, 2020, 07:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Hi, all,

Can anyone dispel my ignorance wrt postage rates - and therefore postage dues -  for newspapers from the Royal Navy in WW1 (specifically 1941 - see attached), please?  The attached pdf shows an intact wrapper: there are no postage stamps applied at all, not even any postage dues, so presumably the 2 1/2d due that was raised was not, in fact levied?

To focus on specific unknowns:

Nick Colley

As I was saying before the damned laptop ran away with me  >:(, specific unknowns are:

- What was the correct (single?) rate for newspapers?

- For what concession (if any) did RN personnel qualify?

- How does 2 1/2 d fit with any answers to the above?

Any assistance and enlightenment will be received most gratefully  8). The previously promised attachment should be attached with this post......

Thanks a lot.

Nick

Peter Harvey

Hi Nick,

I am not sure of the rates for newspapers, I will look this out and see what I can find.

However, from 1 Jul 1940 2.1/2d was the newspaper rate for up to 12oz - your wrapper has noted over 6oz, so i assume the charge was because a rate was exceeded.

Peter 

Nick Colley

Thanks, Pete, that's progress. I wonder if the rate for 6-12 oz at this time (April 1941) was 2. 1/2d, and the due has been raised at the single rate? But not actually levied - there is no postage due stamp affixed.

chrs
N