• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

It concerns U boats - I think ......

Started by Nick Colley, November 05, 2016, 04:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I'd be most obliged to you if you would inspect the attached and tell me what/who you think is the addressee. It is clearly 'Kommando' - ie Command(er), or senior officer, if you like. The next character appears to be a '2', and the one after that a 'U'. The Teutonic style of the script of the  next two characters defeats me.

Also, why is the a numeral 2 preceding the U ? That style of address is opaque to me. What might it mean, do you think ?

There seems to be an explicit U boat connection in that the FP Nr, M40499 is attributed to the 13th U Boat Flotilla at Trondheim.

And to finish, Neustadt is a town on the Baltic coast about 30 kms north of Lubeck.

Thanks a lot !
chrs
N

Chris Grimshaw

jleathes

Quite right that it is from the 13th U-Flotilla based at Trondheim and is addressed to 2 UAA (Unterseeboots Ausbildung Abteilung) at Neustadt (Holstein) one of three U Boat training and holding establishments in the U_Boat command 1 UAA was at Plon and 3 at Pillau. There were also 4 U-Boat Training Divisions (ULD 1-4) which dealt purely with boat training.

cheers    jJohn L

Nick Colley

oh, they are 'A's are they ? Well I'd never have guessed THAT !

Yes, it all makes sense, now.

Many thanks, John, much appreciated !  :)

chrs
N

Oh, and Chris, I'd thought of 2 U 99, but that had no meaning for me. U 99 was defunct by the time of this item, sunk in the Atlantic on 17th March 1941.