• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

It concerns U boats - I think ......

Started by Nick Colley, November 05, 2016, 04:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I'd be most obliged to you if you would inspect the attached and tell me what/who you think is the addressee. It is clearly 'Kommando' - ie Command(er), or senior officer, if you like. The next character appears to be a '2', and the one after that a 'U'. The Teutonic style of the script of the  next two characters defeats me.

Also, why is the a numeral 2 preceding the U ? That style of address is opaque to me. What might it mean, do you think ?

There seems to be an explicit U boat connection in that the FP Nr, M40499 is attributed to the 13th U Boat Flotilla at Trondheim.

And to finish, Neustadt is a town on the Baltic coast about 30 kms north of Lubeck.

Thanks a lot !
chrs
N

Chris Grimshaw

jleathes

Quite right that it is from the 13th U-Flotilla based at Trondheim and is addressed to 2 UAA (Unterseeboots Ausbildung Abteilung) at Neustadt (Holstein) one of three U Boat training and holding establishments in the U_Boat command 1 UAA was at Plon and 3 at Pillau. There were also 4 U-Boat Training Divisions (ULD 1-4) which dealt purely with boat training.

cheers    jJohn L

Nick Colley

oh, they are 'A's are they ? Well I'd never have guessed THAT !

Yes, it all makes sense, now.

Many thanks, John, much appreciated !  :)

chrs
N

Oh, and Chris, I'd thought of 2 U 99, but that had no meaning for me. U 99 was defunct by the time of this item, sunk in the Atlantic on 17th March 1941.