• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WWII Naval Censorship - Egypt

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 01, 2017, 09:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received an enquiry regarding the attached cover:

[color=maroon]He has sent me the attached photo of a cover from Egypt to Ashford, Kent that bears a 'PASSED BY / NAVAL CENSOR' handstamp.  The cover has an Egyptian stamp that bears the cancel "M.P.O. / -6.DE.39 4-5P" / E.604", i.e.soon after the start of WW2.  Presumably "M.P.O. stands for Military Post Office?  When did this particular censorship start / end?  Would the censor handstamp have been applied in Egypt or when it arrived in the England (if so where - Chatham, perhaps)?  Is 'E.604' Alexandria or Cairo?  Are such covers reasonably common? etc.[/color]

Many thanks, Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Hi, Mike, Proud has it at Port Said. The mark is Daynes N451. This usually has a number in the centre, but this appears to be absent, although there seems to be signs of something there. I think it's relatively common from Egypt - or, put another way, not particularly hard to come by.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Nick

Many thanks for your help - together with advice from others at our meeting on Saturday (where to find the MPS E numbers listing) I have now been able to respond to the enquiry.

Thanks again, Mike  :D