• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Query over RAF unit in 1945

Started by Michael Dobbs, July 13, 2017, 09:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I've received an enquiry from a member who has a cover postmarked FPO 694 dated 2 OC 45 from an LAC with 55097 C.T.M.S.U. RAF - does anyone know what C.T.M.S.U. stands for ?

The FPO datestamp was issued to 13 Lines of Communication Postal Unit on 9 March 1943 - used in BAOR.  At the date of the cover the Postal Unit was in Hamburg and operated APOs in Hamburg and Copenhagen, Denmark.

Thanks, Mike  ;)

Nick Colley

Hi, Mike, I would guess that the M.S.U. stands for Mobile Servicing Unit. I've no idea about the C.T. at present, though. Will advice if that changes....

chrs
N

Nick Colley

Just a thought, but the S could be Signals rather than Servicing ? No success with the C and the T, though  >:(

N

Alan Baker

akennedy

MSU would normally be Maintenance Sub Unit.

However in this particular case I doubt whether such a unit would be numbered 55097.
C.T. could be combat training.

It occurs to me that there might possibly have been a misreading of the sender's details - could 55097 be his service number and C.T. his initials???

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Sorry all - I should have included a scan of the address side of the cover - this shows clearly the unit designation.

Mike  :)

akennedy

The suggestion in the last sentence of my e-mail is shown to be wrong.
Alistair