• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Goukd 7A17 - HMS Peyton - or not ?

Started by Nick Colley, August 01, 2017, 01:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, in his latest addition to the WW1 Naval censors volumes, Dr.Gould provides a lengthy discussion about whether 7A17 is from HMS Peyton or not.

Attached is an example of the mark with initials which appear to be FCL (but other interpretations may be necessary). Neither of the Navy Lists I have which include HMS Peyton show an officer listed for her with those initials (October 1917 and September 1918).

Any thoughts ?

chrs
N

Alan Baker

Frank Schofield

Nick (& Alan)

HMS Peyton was launched on 2nd May 1916, completed on 29th June 1916,
She was built by Wm Denny of Dumbarton on the Clyde,
the date on the item only gives her 9 days to get round to Scapa Flow (FPOa),
was she sent straight up there to replace the Destoyers lost at Jutland?
BUT Nick you are correct the censors initials are FCL, those of Sub/Lt Fitzhugh C. Lyon
appt to HMS Peyton in June 1916.
I was the one who allocated this mark to Peyton, ages ago, with two covers from officers known to be serving on board later in the war

Frank Schofield

Nick Colley

Thanks, chaps. Yes, I can see how FCR can be interpreted, but I'm happy with FCL.

9 days would be ample time to steam from Glasgow to Scapa. I understand that newly completed ships undergo a working up period before joining the fleet operationally. Presumably there's no reason why this period can't be spent co-located with the fleet, even if the vessel is not part of the fleet.

So, HMS Peyton it is, then !  8)

chrs
N