• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

P.N.Y.O. designation in RNAS WW1

Started by Tony Walker, October 07, 2017, 07:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a photograph showing stores and equipment being offloaded from SS Umona (probably) in July 1917 at Archangel, see attachment.  The detail shows the writing on the crates, and includes the designation P.N.Y.O.  Any offers on what the Y stands for.

Usually it is T for Principal Naval Transport Officer, which would seem appropriate in this instance.  They were supplies to the Armoured Car Division fighting on the Galician Front at that time

Cheers
Tony

akennedy

It certainly looks likely that PNYO should have been PNTO.

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Tony

Despite extensive online searches I have not been able to find any reference to the PNYO designation and come to the same conclusion as Alistair that it was an error in the stencil make-up and that it should have read PNTO.

Regards, Mike

Tony Walker

Thank you both - I can see no other plausible explanation, but will keep an eye out for PNYO

Tony