• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

AUSTRALIAN NAVAL USE OF U.S. NAVAL POSTAL SYSTEM

Started by Ross Debenham, October 17, 2017, 12:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

This really isn't my area but I recently picked up this cover at a local society auction. This cover was posted from a Royal Australian Navy ship on 15 September 1944 to Sydney. It has HMAS SHIP rubber stamp with 2 3d Australian stamps applied on top. Also censored using Type n.109 censor marker. Now this is where it gets a little bit strange the stamps are postmarked using United States Navy post marker on the above date. Also has rubber "H M A SHIP" on reverse.I believe going on the date that the ship was on of four ships engaged supporting the US invasion of Morotai in the Dutch East Indies. The question is why would the US post marker obliterate the Australian stamps which are mounted above the H M A SHIP marker? Would Australian postage stamps be available at the US post office? I believe postage was paid because the letter was addressed to a bookshop (most probably a stamp dealer).

Frank Schofield

Ross

You may have contact member Albert Coles on this one, he is the RAN expert
He has never been active in the forum, but has an e.mail address

Frank Schofield

Colin Tabeart

Suggest the 2 x 3d adhesives were applied aboard the RAN ship. Whilst service personnel had free surface mail, airmail had to pay 3d, and registration was a further 3d. If the RAN ship was operating with USN forces the latter probably had better admin support, so mail may have been transferred to a USN ship for handling. Best wishe, Colin