• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Mute Cross Handstamp.

Started by Chris Weddell, May 11, 2018, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

Sorry I have not been around for a while i am now back.

A new cover which I am having trouble with. I cannot make out which mute cross handstamp this is. I am only 50% sure this is a Gould DC 17. Can any help with this. Thanks in advance.

Chris S-W. 

Tony Walker

Hi Chris - Good to see you back in print

I'm not sure your DC 17 is the best interpretation.  The four segments although not firmly struck, do look more or less the same size whereas in DC 17 the size varies.  Also I would say one of the white bands between the segments is wider than the other at right-angles to it.  These two characteristics makes it perhaps more like DC 12?  This is just an observation, they vary greatly depending how vertically and firmly they are struck.  I believe our Maltese Cross colleagues have the same problems...

Cheers
Tony Walker

Chris Weddell

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your help. I now also think it may be a DC 12. It would make sense as a lot of the U.S. Nay ships went to and from Sheerness. I can date this cover as being post 1916 as Walter B gould only moved to this address in Bargen, Maine in March 1916. He was a very well known stamp and coin dealer. He also raised funds for the Red Cross during the U.S. involvement in World War One.

Cheers

Chris.