• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

US persons in RAF Bomber Command WW2

Started by Michael Dobbs, June 24, 2018, 02:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

This is one for our RAF experts - I received this at the beginning of the month but have only now got round to dealing with it.  It is from the former Treasurer of the (US) Military Postal History Society:

I need to speak to someone who can help me about Yanks that flew in Bomber Command during the 2nd War. I have covers and a book written about the man and his time in WW II. I am the former Treasurer of the Military Postal History Society.
Thank you in advance for all of your help. I really enjoyed reading your publication when I was Treasurer.

I have the contact details if you would like to communicate direct.

Thanks, Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

I have now received further information from Norm Gruenzner:

[color=maroon]I found my copy of the book (believe or not I misplaced it along with his covers) and now I'll give some info relative to the book.  It was originally published in the UK in 1977 and then in the US in 1998. The preface in the book was written by Eric Hammel.  Raymond was a bomber/pilot and received the DFC. He flew a Lancaster with a crew made up of British, Irish, and Canadian. He piloted in the 68 Squadron, I think. I know he was in France in 1940 as there was an effort to recreate the American Ambulance unit. France's surrender ended that but he was stuck with the Germans who didn't know what to do with him and other yanks. They put them up in a French hotel until they figured out a way to get them out of the way.

I have a handful of his covers. One interesting thing is that in the book there was map with dates of bombing missions and the city targets. 

I'm having problems with my scanner so I will have to describe one of the covers. Cds: Lincoln  16 Jan 1943. Stamps, The King's 1 Shilling and a 3 pence. The envelope has a PC Examined paper closure on the slit that the censor made with checking on the contents of the letter.  Return address: Robert S. Raymond, Jr. -Royal Air Force - 1381720, United States Consulate London.  To: A relative in Lawrence Kansas..

I hope someone can help me find out if there were any other Yanks in Bomber Command.  The Eagle Squadrons are well known.[/color]

Nick Colley

Hi, Mike,

Sadly, I have to report there's nothing found (yet) in my meagre library that can cast light on US nationals in the RAF in WW2 (other than the Eagle squadrons). However, it seems that 68 Squadron was not in Bomber Command. It was based at Coltishall in Norfolk at the time in question, so there's no obvious connection to Lincoln to explain the postmark. The 1/3d franking would be right, though, I think. I've found a history of the Squadron, which some diligent soul has magnanimously made available on the internet. I'll mail it to you. There's a reference to a visit by the AOC 12 Group (ie Fighter Command).

In fact, the document is only 186 Kb, so I can attach it here.

adios
N