• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

1940 Canadian mail

Started by Jim Etherington, July 28, 2018, 07:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I have five covers all dated June, three posted in Aldershot and two with FPO 95 cancels (examples attached)

These give rise to the following questions that perhaps someone can help me with.

1. Over what period were military censor cachets applied to Canadian troop mail? Note all my examples are June.

2. FPO 95 is not listed as having been issued to Canadian troops. However the sender of this cover is a member of C Coy. 48th Highlanders of Canada. Under what circumstances might this FPO have been applied to Canadian military mail?

I have a second cover, with 'Salvation Army with Canadian Active Service Force' imprint addressed to the Canadian Bank of Commerce, London also cancelled with FPO 95 dated 8 JU 40 censor cachet 2411. I am assuming this is also from a Canadian soldier.

Alan Baker

According to The BNAPS Catalogue of Canadian Military Markings, Vol 2 (WWII Era), FPO95 was issued to the HQ, 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade on 27th May 1940, but was believed lost in France during the June withdrawal of the 1st Canadian Division from Brittany. The example in the book is dated 8th June 1940

According to Bailey & Toop, Proud Edition, the 1st Canadian Infantry brigade went to France on 12/13 June to the Brest area, but was evacuated a week later without seeing action.

Alan Baker

According to the Official History of the Canadian Army by Col CP Stacey, the intention was to send a second BEF to France even after the completion of the evacuation at Dunkirk. 1 Canadian Division was to be part of this force.

The first parties of the Division left Aldershot on 8th June and the main body of the force embarked from Plymouth on 13th, landing in Brest the following morning. They were then moved by train to Sable-sur Sarthe. The 48th Highlanders were on the first train, with the headquarters. However, when it became clear that the French army, which the force were to support, was no longer capable of organised resistance, the order was given to evacuate the troops already there. This order was given on 14th June.

The 48th Highlanders arrived at Sable where they received the order to evacuate and simply turned the train around to head back to Brest. Unfortunately, it was rerouted to St Malo, where by chance a British steamer was in dock. All troops were embarked and the ship left on 16th June and arrived at Southampton that afternoon.

In all this confusion, it is perhaps little wonder that the FPO95 hammer was lost!

Michael Dobbs

Jim & Alan

Please see my notes on the Canadian Army in the UK in 1940 (Canadian formations, exclusing base units) - information in the main came from the various Canadian War Diaries held in The National Archives.

It may help with understanding situation at the time.

Mike  :)

Jim Etherington

Hi Alan and Mike
Many thanks for all the information and references in response to my queries. This is a great help as I am new to this area of collecting.
Am I right in assuming that the British censor cachets were being applied during June when the division was on 'Active Service'?
Jim

Ingo Egerlandt

Jim, it must given a Canadian troop shipped from Portsmouth to France an they disembarked back to Portsmouth. The German troops was faster than planed, sometimes! Please look at these troops in England. I think about, I have got one envelope from that after 22. July. I posted here few month ago with picture. Ingo

Peter Harvey

Hi Jim,

To answer the specific point, yes the censor cachets would have been applied by the Unit, whilst in France.

Regards

Ingo Egerlandt

Jim,

my envelope, FPO 97 from JU 11 1940 to Montreal. Army Censor 2231.

Ingo

Alan Baker

According to Sayles, FPO 97 was allocated to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade on 27th May 1940, but withdrawn on 7th July. It was replaced by FPO 312

Jim Etherington

Thanks everyone for your input. Things are a lot clearer now.
Jim