• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

APO S2

Started by Alan Baker, October 15, 2018, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I am attaching a scan of a postcard I bought at Banstead. It is from Lt MB Hatfield, Ox & Bucks LI, and is addressed to HS Wildeblood, TIB, Embankment, London. It looks like Lt Hatfield was on a fact finding tour.

Can anyone shed any light on:
what was TIB?
who was HS Wildeblood?
what was Hatfield looking into?

I have found an HS Wildeblood listed in the India List as an Executive Engineer with the Public Works Dept of  Agra and Oudh. I have also seen a document (which I cannot now find again!) with MB Hatfield listed as an engineer in India. Is this a coincidence?

Alan Baker

Quick update - MB Hatfield became an engineer with United Provinces, India in 1919. I have found a document with his signature on, the same as the card

Peter Harvey

Henry Seddon (H.S) Wildeblood, recorded in RAF Museum records for WW2 as working for Vickers Aircraft Company ex RAF.

The RAF lists record 2Lt H. S. Wildeblood as an RAF Prisoner of War in 1918. Card also mentions going to No1 ASD and No 2 tomorrow - this surely would be Aeroplane Supply Depot.

Not sure about T.I.B but the War Office had significant temporary buildings/ offices on Victoria Embankment

Alan Baker

Many thanks Peter. I must have bought it from you!

Henry S Wildeblood was an engineer in India, but had a keen interest in aeronautics. He designed a triplane in India but in 1915 left to work for the Technical Department, Air Ministry, in charge of improvements to the SE5A and other aircraft.

Clearly, he was in London in January 1918, but it would be interesting to discover how he managed to get himself taken prisoner later that year.