• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

RFC POW in Bulgaria

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 19, 2018, 03:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Does anyone have data on the Royal Flying Core please.

I have  a Lieut James Collins Farish Owen, forced down and became  a POW in Bulgaria 18th Feb 1917.

Enlisted in the Canadian Forces Dec 2nd 1914 No 75543, transferred at some stage to the RFC.  Question is when if anyone can help.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Found Owen as a Canadian soldier, No. 75543
Disembarked with the 29th Canadian  Infantry Battalion 17/9/15 Discharged to Commission 4.1.18, which seems to suggest he was commissioned after going missing on 18th Feb 1917.
Cannot find him as an officer in my database
Cox & Co list him under the Balkans, as RAF, missing 18/2/17 repatriated 16/10/18
Not much help I am afraid

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

Your assistance is appreciated.

I'd managed to find his Canadian papers and medal card, ICRC records on line show details of British POWs at Philippopole, Bulgaria, these are dated, 3rd March 1917, first sheet lists 18 officers.  second sheet undated lists 20 officers, Owen is listed on the second sheet as No 20.
Listed as 2nd Lieut RFC. 

On his ICRC record card shown as a Lieut.  There are no further records of any ICRC visits.  I also have  a full list of all the British POWs
held here, dated 3rd March 1917 again. Runs to 532 names.  Note not all POWs have a Record Card as far as I can ascertain.

To put some meat on the bones of this chap I have three covers all in going when he was a POW between March 1917 and December 1917.  One from Canada probably parents or family.  One from New York, after the was he married a lady from the States. The final cover is from France, Boulogne, sent on Active Service, censored 6/1085, (User?) also found details of the action where he was forced down and  a photo of him.

Not seen any outgoing mail from him though.  When completed planning on submitting a display for the web site on POW mails from the East.

Cheers

Chris