• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Indian Advance Base Post Office No. 9

Started by Ross Debenham, November 21, 2018, 10:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I include a scan of an envelope I recently purchased mainly for the fact that it had an East African Army Post Office 58 dated 29 February on it. This was a base post office at Colombo. When I received the envelope I found that it also had an Indian Advance Base Post Office 9 of an earlier date on it. It is censored using British A5 censor marker number 8871. It is addressed to England. My queries are as follows:

Where was Indian Advance Base Post Office No. 9 located at the time?
Why would an envelope posted at an Indian Post Office addressed to England be routed through and East African Base Post Office?

Jim Mackay

According to Virk, Indian ABPO 9 was located at Colombo from May 1942 until August 1946. EA APO 58 may also have been in Ceylon although Rossiter/Proud record 22 March 1944 as EKD in Ceylon.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Jim

Ross Debenham

Thanks Jim, I omitted to include that the year was 1944. Maybe the 2 base post offices worked in conjunction with each other