• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

What was J.A.T.C. in Brussels in 1945?

Started by Jim Mackay, November 22, 2018, 09:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Mackay

I wonder if anyone knows what the abbreviation JATC stands for.
The sender's address is  1187785 Cpl Hook, J.A.T.C., c/o Brussels Unit, R.A.F., B.A.O.R.
The cover is machine postmarked APO 870 on 25 Sep 1945 and censored by R7/189 (latest known date) and addressed to Mrs Hook in Finchley.
Many thanks.
Jim

Chris Weddell

Michael Dobbs

It is more likely to be Joint Air Traffic Control - there was such an organisation in Europe as part of the Allied Expeditionary Air Force (AEAF).

Mike  :)

Jim Mackay

Peter Harvey

Options - this could also be Joint Air Transport Centre, so a mix of the other two suggestions. Air transport for troops through the 50's - 60's % 70's used this designation with centres overseas and in the UK.

Michael Dobbs

Peter & Chris - sorry chaps, but I feel that my response as Joint Air Traffic Control is the correct one !

As I stated there are references to such an organisation in The National Archives as part of under records for the Allied Expeditionary Air Force (AEAF) in Europe in 1945.

Chris - Sorry but I cannot find any online reference to Joint Army Transport Command either online or in The National Archives.  The latter comes up with Joint Air Transport Establishment (JATE).  Just a thought why would it be called 'Joint' if it was an 'Army' organisation ?

Peter - I know you were previously in the RAF and so may be more experienced in this than me, but again I cannot find any reference to Joint Air Transport Centre.  Both online and The National Archives don't come up with anything, but they do respond with Joint Air Transport Establishment (JATE).  However, JATE was only formed in 1968 and its role was defined as "the study, development and service testing of techniques and equipment for airborne assault and air transported operations including the carriage of stores by helicopters."  So that does not fit the bill.

The only other organisation that comes close is the Joint Air Mounting Centre (JAMC) which handles processing, baggage checks, feeding and travel to RAF Brize Norton for military personnel about to be deployed overseas.  There are also references to troops passing through the Joint Air Mounting Centre (JAMC) in South Cerney, Gloucestershire.  However, I cannot find any historical references to it.

Mike  ;)