• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

British Hospital Ship Suntemple

Started by Peter High, November 23, 2018, 04:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter High

Has anyone come across correspondence or photos of the British hospital ship Suntemple? She was formally HMHS Berbice, a naval hospital ship from 4 Dec 1915 until 1919, at which time she was purchased by the Admiralty from her owners. From this time (according to Dittmar & Colledge) she flew the blue ensign. She continued hospital ship service until 1922 when she was sold and renamed Suntemple. (She was replaced by RFA Maine). I had expected that, on being sold and renamed, she would have had her hospital ship colours painted over. However, I have a photo pic postcard of her still in hospital ship colours (white superstructure, with green band and red crosses on hull and funnels) with the name Suntemple. Moreover, I have another photo of her in hs colours, captioned (in the negative) HMT Suntemple, Constantinople 1922.
I can find no mention of Suntemple in service as a hs. It has been suggested that she was serving during the Charak crisis of 1922-23. She is not listed as a British ship in 'The Chanak Affair' (David Walder 1969).

Any comments/notes would be appreciated. Peter  :D :D