• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Zone Postal Depot 9

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, December 01, 2018, 09:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Dear members, I have got a envelope from London to Berlin. In Reverse is the ZPD 9 handstamp. It was this Depot in Berlin? Ingo

Michael Dobbs

Ingo

The text in the item you showed is correct - 101 Zone Postal Depot was located at Herford, it was [i][u]never[/u][/i] in Berlin. 

All mail for Army and RAF personnel overseas was initially sorted at the Home Postal Centre (HPC) in Nottingham.  However, with effect from 2 April 1946 mail previously sorted to APO No 6 Division at the Army Post Office Nottingham (i.e. all mail for closed address British Army of the Rhine (BAOR)) was forwarded direct to 101 Zone Postal Depot RE at Herford, Germany.  Such mails were then sorted and distributed to BAOR units - and this would have included Berlin.  The change came about due to the close proximity of the theatre to the United Kingdom.

Organisational changes took place in 1951 when 101 Zone Postal Depot became 8 Command Postal Depot - thus reviving the number used for the original base army post office which had served the theatre since the Normandy landings on 6 June 1944.  It also introduced current terminology into the title by the use of "Command" for the BAOR theatre instead of the outmoded "Zone", which smacked of the occupation.

Regards, Mike  :)

Ingo Egerlandt

Thank you Mike, the envelope adressed Berlin. Than I think about it! Ingo